Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Q&A with Dallas Stars Defensemen Jeff Woywitka

With the new season now underway for the Stars, Jeff Woywitka is a defensemen who for the most part has split a lot of his time between the St. Louis Blues and their AHL Affiliate in Illinois in the Peoria Rivermen. Last year was his first year with the Stars where he had a bit of a tough time adjusting the new enviorment where he can play well with just about anybody and become a stronger and more consistent presence on the ice.

He's looking to hook up with players like Tom Wandell and Karlis Skrastins to help provide some depth and to help out players like Stephane Robidas and Trevor Daley as well.

In this Q&A, Woywitka talks about Training Camp, where he looks to improve and make a stronger impact. Also his love for Country Music and growing up in the Alberta Country side.


Here's the Q&A by Greg Ramiez of the Dallas Stars Website

Jeff Woywitka Profile


DS: How did you think training camp went and what expectations do you have for yourself this season?

Woywitka: "I thought training camp was good for me, the guys worked hard - it was a battle. For me, i've got something to prove this year. I didn't have the greatest of years last year, and was in and out of the lineup. So I wanted to come into this year and get into good shape, play harder, and be harder to play against myself.


DS: What improvement's did you make in the off-season and what role do you see yourself this season?

Woywitka: I've got to come in here and bring energy to the group. Every time I'm in there I want to do my job and be hard to play against. I thought I had a great summer getting myself faster, stronger, and more physically fit. I trained in Edmonton with a guy named Rocky Thompson. We went to the gym every day, got stronger, and quicker. I had a pretty good diet I was on and came into camp pretty lean.


DS: In your opinion, who is the most difficult player to defend against in the NHL?

Woywitka: I think they are a couple of guys. Datsyuk is so shifty, he's so hard to read. You think he's going this way, then he'll go the other way. You can't look at the puck with him. Obviously, Ovechkin and Crosby are tough, but we don't see them that much because they are in a different conference. In Chicago, you have Kane, you have Toews, you have some guys that can really make you look stupid as a defenseman if you are not prepared to battle with them.


DS: You are a country music fan, what triggered your love for country music?

Woywitka: Growing up in the country, on a farm, all you got on the tractors are the AM Music Stations. That was all country. I had no choice but to listen and become accustomed to that because of my lifestyle and the way I was brought up.


DS: Who are your favorite country artists? Who's the best to see in concert?

Woywitka: I like George Strait, Brad Paisley and Katy Perry. George Strait is probably the best in concert.


DS: Are they any up-and-coming country music artists that Stars fans should listen to?

Woywitka: Dean Brody is a good up and coming country artist. Easton Corbin is another good one, he's got some really good songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment